Refereed Journal Publications
- Downes, N & Roberts, P. (2018). Revisiting the schoolhouse: A literature review on staffing rural, remote and isolated schools in Australia 2004-2016. Australian and International Journal of Rural Education, 28 (1). pp.31-54.
- Corbett, M. & Roberts, P. (2017) A Small Place: Education in Rural Tasmania. Australian and International Journal of Rural Education, 27 (3), pp. 1-8.
- McPherson, A., Roberts, P., Downes, N. (2017). Rural-regional sustainability in the Murray Darling Basin: School / community difference and the politics of water in rural Australia. Australian and International Journal of Rural Education, 27 (2), pp. 93-107.
- Roberts, P. (2017). A Curriculum for Whom?: Rereading ‘Implementing the Australian Curriculum in Rural, Regional, Remote and Distance-Education Schools’ from a rural standpoint. Australian and International Journal of Rural Education. 27 (1) pp. 69-88.
- Roberts, P. & Downes, N. (2016). Conflicting messages: Sustainability and Education for Rural-Regional Sustainability. Rural Society. 25 (1) pp.15-36.
- Leonard, S. N., & Roberts, P. (2016). No Time to Think: The impact of the logics of New Public Management on teacher pre-professional learning. 31(2) pp.142-160. Journal of Education Policy.
- Roberts, P. & Cuervo, H. (2015). What Next for Rural Education Research? Australian and International Journal of Rural Education’ 25 (3). pp.1-8.
- Downes, N. & Roberts, P. (2015). Valuing rural meanings: The work of parent supervisors challenging dominant educational discourses. Australian and International Journal of Rural Education’ 25 (3).pp.80-93.
- Leonard, S.N. & Roberts, P. (2014) Performers and Postulates: the role of evolving socio-historical contexts in shaping new teacher professional identities. Critical Studies in Education. 55 (3) pp.303-318.
- Roberts, P. (2014). A Curriculum for the Country: The Absence of the Rural in a National Curriculum. Curriculum Perspectives. 34 (1) pp. 51-60.
- Australian Curriculum Studies Association 2015 Colin Marsh Award. This bi-annual award is for the best paper in the last 2 years in the journal Curriculum Studies
- Roberts, P. & Green, B. (2013). Researching Rural Place(s): On Social Justice and Rural Education. Qualitative Inquiry. 19 (10) pp. 765 – 774.
- Roberts, P. (2013). The role of an authentic curriculum and pedagogy for rural schools and the professional satisfaction of rural teachers. Australian and International Journal of Rural Education. 23 (2) pp.89-99.
- Roberts, P. (2013) ‘Re-visiting Historical Literacy: towards a disciplinary pedagogy’. Literacy Learning the Middle Years. 21 (1) pp 15-24.
- As part of my professional engagement this paper was reproduced in the NSW History Teachers Association Journal 47 (2) 2013 pp. 27-36.
- Roberts, P. (2007) ‘Shaping Future Staffing Systems to Support Students in Rural, Remote and Isolated Communities’ Australian College of Educators Online Refereed Article 46
Academic Book Chapters
- Roberts, P. (2018) Looking for the rural. In A. Reid & D. Price, The Australian Curriculum: Promises, Problems and Possibilities. Australian Curriculum Studies Association: Canberra. pp 201-210.
- Roberts P. (2015). Education for Rural Australia. In A. Hogan & M. Young, Rural and Regional Futures. Routledge: New York . pp. 117-134.
- Roberts, P. (2014) Researching from the Standpoint of the Rural. In S. White & M. Corbett, Doing Educational Research in Rural Settings: Methodological Issues, International Perspectives and Practical Solutions. Routledge: New York. pp. 135-148.
- Downes, N. & Roberts, P. (2017). Staffing Rural, Remote & isolated Schools in Australia: A review of the research literature (2004-2016). University of Canberra, ACT.
- Roberts, P. & Downes, N. (2015). Community and School Understandings of Sustainability: Survey Summary. University of Canberra, ACT.
- Roberts, P., Downes, N., Cooke, L., Heiner, I. and Caffery, J. (2014) Education, Place and Sustainability: A Literature Review and Overview of Curriculum and Policy in the States and Territory of the Murray-Darling Basin. University of Canberra, ACT.
- Roberts, P. (2013). From the Centre to the Periphery: Thinking Historically with ACT Educational History. University of Canberra, ACT.
- Roberts, P. (2013). Building Bridges for Historical Learning: Symposium Proceedings. University of Canberra, ACT.
- Roberts, P. (2010) ‘From historical Literacy to a Pedagogy of History’. Discussion paper for the National Symposium Building bridges for Historical Learning. University of Canberra. Published online.
- Roberts, P. (2005) Staffing an Empty Schoolhouse: Attracting and retaining teachers in rural, remote and isolated communities (publication version). Sydney, NSW. New South Wales Teachers Federation. ISBN 1875699368
- Roberts, P. (2000) Report on the Impact of the Removal of Furnished units in Rural, Isolated and Difficult to Staff locations. Sydney, NSW. New South Wales Teachers Federation.
- Roberts, P. 2010. The Elephant in the Room. Review of Groundwater-Smith, S. and Mockler, N. 2009. Teacher Professional Learning in an Age of Compliance: Mind the gap. Australian College of Educators.
- Roberts, P. (2016). ‘Place, Rural Education and Social Justice: A Study of Rural Teaching and Curriculum Politics’. Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga.
- American Educational Research Association Rural Special Interest Group Dissertation of the Year Award 2016.